Saturday, November 07, 2009

Day 1 - Peru

Hey No One -

What a long day I had. After hanging with friends in Vacaville and staying up until 1pm on a school night, I had to leave home at 4am to catch a flight to LA to then fly to Lima Peru. Good times with the friends. Although I suffered on my 8 uncomfortable hours on the plane slightly hungover, I wouldn't have changed a thing.

I set my alarm for 4am and luckily for me I accidentally fell asleep next to my phone. Had I slept in my bed an left my phone in the other room, I would be blogging about how I missed my flight. Lesson learned (I hope).

We arrived in Peru at around midnight. I was utterly exhausted. Midnight local time is 9pm Pacific. So if you're counting, that's 4am to 9pm after sleeping at 1am. Yep. Exhausted. The plane ride was so horrible. Nothing wrong with the service or turbulence, it's just that 8-hr in a plane SUX!!!

LIMA First impressions:

Dad and I walked around the Lima this morning. There are a lot of security guards everywhere - private security guards, not govt employees. The people look like Incas. Slanted eyes, reddish brown skin, straight long noses and jet black hair. Strangely enuf there are also really pale people with jet black hair. They're probably of Spanish descent. Last night when we arrived, we went to a fast food joint called Bembo's. Tho the service was slow, the burgers were made with Argentine beef. Tasty! So the taste was like a more flavorful beef. Don't know if it was spices or just the beef. I'll have to have a steak and find out.

Travelling w/ my dad is great. Growing up I spoke English, Tagalog and Kapampangan. Dad and I are speaking English and Kapampangan - which I love cuz I don't speak much Kapampangan anymore. Here are my lessons for the day:
Ela mikasundu. (That was in reference to the Peruvians and Chileans. Didn't know that it was just 2 words!.) I'm usually close with my K-pow, but rarely perfect.

This afternoon we going on a tour of some ruin, but I'm really excited to see the coast. Strange that I'm excited to see the Pacific Ocean - an ocean I've taken for granted my entire life.

So glad I have my power chord for my netbook. I thought I left it at home.

Tested out the Digi-cam today to, so if I get motivated enuf, I'll post some pictures.

-Edwin